Saturday 2 April 2011

38+6

Well, I'm 39 weeks tomorrow.  Baby is showing no signs of wanting to exit as yet, but to be honest, I don't mind.  With him safe inside life can go on being as normal for the time being, plus, until I'm feeling better the thought of labour is worse to be honest!  I know I only came down with this bug on Tuesday, but it's getting me down now :(

Today I have bunged sinuses and a runny nose, a dry cough and again I didn't sleep terribly well, but I think I may be feeling slightly better than yesterday.  Slightly!

Oh yes, and just to make me feel worse I think I have a pile.  Sorry for the over information.  It's something I've never wanted and have done everything I can to avoid but it seems the extra pressure of a dropping baby into one's pelvis and incessant coughing from stupid lurgy = inavoidable pile.

Ironically, I really thought it would upset me but I think I've just come to the point where I feel life can throw anything awful at me such as lurgies, thrush and piles during the 38th week of pregnancy and I'm too tired and fed up of feeling bleurgh to care at the moment.

I was lying in bed last night next to my empty moses basket and I am excited about having baby in it.  It just still feels so far away!!  I guess I'm slightly in denial about the next stage or something!   On the Babycentre forum there are women trying all manner of weird things to try and get their babies out early.  Surely they'll come when they're good and ready.  There's no point risking your or their health because we're uncomfortable!  One women was saying about taking castor oil which pharmacists won't sell to a pregnant woman because it clears out your system which can activate labour but also distress your baby which just isn't worth it in my opinion.

I was also sitting in my nursery thinking how marvellous it all looks!  I bought some little baskets to sort the vests out with for the wardrobe so feel better now that's all done, and my Dad popped by yesterday and he thinks the gliding chair is brilliant!  It really is so very comfortable.  It's nice to think the room is large enough so if folk are around and I need to feed him, I can take myself and baby away and enjoy sitting in the chair in the nursery in peace and quiet whilst Steve looks after visitors downstairs.

I think we're going to have to set some visiting rules as well at some point.  It's all a bit new but I've heard sleeping babies should be left in their baskets to sleep and not be woken up, so I guess that seems sensible.  If people knock on the door and I don't feel up to visitors I won't answer the door, and it'd be nice if people could just come for a short visit to start with in twos, and I'm worried that I'll feel overwhelmed with lots of people at once.

Just been googling and found this advice which seems useful:


Etiquette For Visiting a Newborn Baby: When & How

Baby is Born

So... that long awaited baby has finally arrived - but what is the social etiquette when it comes to visiting, how do you behave and what do you do?
Of course it can vary depending on your relationship to the parents - if you're best friends they might be happier with a more casual visiting schedule. However if you're only work colleagues, chances are the new parents prefer you to ring ahead or give them plenty of time alone with their new bundle of job.
If you want to know what gift to take along to visit the new baby, you can visit this page to find out more.
This is a basic guide of the DO'S and DO NOT'S when it comes to visiting a newborn baby and parents.

DO!

  • Phone ahead - Make sure you phone ahead to find out if the family will be home, that there aren't other visitors expected and that they won't be in the middle of lunch or dinner.
  • Time your visit - Try and keep your visit around half an hour.
  • Offer to help - Offer to do something simple even if it's just hanging out a load of washing or doing dishes.
  • Take a suitable gift - See my guide on picking the perfect baby present.
  • Watch for signals - If baby starts fussing or mum and dad start appearing shifty or yawn, it's probably time to go.

DO NOT!

  • Visit in hospital - Unless you are a close relative, the parents would probably prefer private time with their newborn. About a week after birth is a reasonable time to consider visiting. Think about how you feel in hospital - and remember that not only are the parents in a strange environment they've only had hours to adjust to their new arrival.
  • Offer unsolicited advice - The parents will already have heard more advice on every topic than they can remember. If they ask a specific question, feel free to answer but don't turn it into a long discussion. Remember - even if you've had five kids, all babies are different!
  • Tell new parents what they're doing wrong - new parents are already stressed and confused. If you tell them they're doing something wrong, chances are that the lack of sleep and stress will make them get their back up. If you see something that is of major consequence, be very gentle about how you approach the subject.
  • Monopolise baby - It's fine to hold baby - it may even be appreciated if the parents have things to do, but remember that new mums can be very jumpy around their firstborns. If baby gets upset, it's probably best to hand her back to a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment