Tuesday 19 October 2010

Test Results

This is a quick extra post to say that I had a letter from the hospital when I got home.

The results of the nuchal test scan, to see whether baby has a liklihood of a chromosome disorder, such as Down's Syndrome.  The results was fine, they recommend no further testing, and the chances of baby having Down's are 1 in a 1000.  Which I think is normal.

So that seems all ok.

It just makes you wonder what would have happened if it said anything else.

Everyone hopes for a 'perfect' baby, but I don't think I could honestly go through with a termination, or possibly even second tests at this point, it would be too awful.  And people adapt to whatever their situation, and there would be no less love.

I don't know whether Steve would share that view or not.  He's worked with people with Down's Syndrome as part of a film he did, and he readily admits they can have a good quality of life.

But we don't have to have that conversation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment