Saturday 21 May 2011

Wetting the Baby's Head

Tonight we have finally cracked open the champagne and raised a toast to our little Joel.  It's taken this long as I wanted to have the grandparents here all together, a bit of a celebration and I've been on antibiotics that often, I couldn't really participate, plus with the breast feeding I have a narrow window to fit it in!!

So, as on our wedding day, it was cold and grey, and as we're rather British and had trusted the weather man who forsaw sunshine, we sat in the garden in our jumpers, and Dad tended to the barbeque (and did very well) and we sat on the lawn eating hotdogs, burgers, chicken skewers, pork ribs and lamb burgers with trifle for pudding (thanks Mum!)

We then cracked open the champagne, and all raised a glass.  I tried my hand at a speech which wasn't the greatest, just thanking them all for their support as I truly don't think I could have done much without them over the past four weeks and we sipped our champagne at which point Joel woke up!

He'd been sleeping on his Grandpa for the duration of the meal and as I began to enjoy my champagne (which Steve bought the day he was born, and it was delicious too!!) I had to put it aside and go to feed my hungry boy!

We've absteined from the bath tonight, he's been grizzly all day with the poop issues mentioned in the previous post (solved by 4.30pm!!!  Hooray!!) and hasn't slept so is down and out for the count by 8.00pm which is sticking to his schedule so good for him!  (I'm being naughty typing this out as I should be sleeping too but I wanted to write this quickly).

We also discussed his dedication plans, we're thinking of the 25th June, and just inviting close family along as most of our friends are part of the church anyhow and then organising a bring and share lunch afterwards to celebrate with everyone.  Maybe we could do an afternoon tea at Mum's for 'special guests' around 5pm before folk head off?  That could work.

Anyhow, it's been a nice day and not too busy and finished off nicely with a mini celebration which although belated, was enjoyed!

I've noticed today that Joels' eyelashes have grown lots in the past couple of days, and his hair which was a shock of dark spikes when born is falling out and being replaced a fairer colour more like mine!!  His eyes are also turning a paler blue like mine from the dark indigo blue they were four weeks ago.

He is holding his head and shoulders unbelievably well for a newborn, and is a most determined soul when it comes to feeding time.  He really tries to dictate what goes on and control the latching on with his hands in the way!!!  It's too cute really.  He headbuts at me as I prepare myself, I try to think glass of water, muslin cloth,  remote, good cushions but most of the time I have nothing around me, and spend the time looking at him, stroking his face and wondering at this little man who is demonstrating such personality already!

Last night was terribly funny.  Mum came round to help me bath him as he seems to not like me doing it and screams a lot, and I was holding him in his bath (quite securely) and I was resting on the edge of the tub with my boobs sort of over the edge and he quietend down, and was fixated on them.  he knows what his food source looks like for sure, and after staring and realising he was so close, but in the horrid bath, well, he showed Grandma what one of his shouting fits was like!  She's not seen that before and we couldn't help being amused at the cause of it.

He is so precious and I'm enjoying every day of it so far, even grizzly ones like today!

No comments:

Post a Comment