Monday 2 May 2011

La Commode

I can't believe I've forgotten to mention this so far!  It's too funny and clever to allow to disappear without a mention.

Pretty much on the first night I was home we realised I was going to have difficulties getting up and down my stairs.  My house was built in 1901 and is a Victorian mid terrace and the stairs are pretty steep to say the least and the bathroom is a downstairs one added onto the end of the kitchen, so far away.

Steve had to help me sobbing up the stairs as I was frustrated at being so helpless and I was in pain and I called my Mum up to say I didn't know what I was going to do about going to the loo.  She said 'leave it with us' and 30 minutes later she and Dad came around with a 'commode' that Dad had assembled from a chair frame, a toilet seat, a lidded old nappy bucket, a grow tall step and a British atlas!  It has to be seen to be believed but it saved me this first week at home!! 

Another unknown element to afterbirth is the incessant need to wee, a lot!!  The bucket was pretty much full the next day and to think of the agony of getting to the bathroom and back 8 or 9 times that first night whilst feeding and trying to settle a newborn baby was too much to think about.

I shall try to get a picture up before it goes.  My Dad is so resourceful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment