Monday 28 March 2011

Swelling Up

Yesterday I felt very bloated and swollen indeed, to the point where my  hands actually  hurt!  I was at Mum and Dad's for lunch after church, and their door handles are rather stiff and I struggled to open them!  My fingers were puffy and in general, I just 'hurt' all over!

This was too much for me, and when I had an ounce of sympathy from Mum, I burst into tears crying that I hurt and my hands were puffy and I couldn't bear it. 

I'd not slept well, and when I feel sorry for myself I do tend to turn into a bit of a weeper.  I can laugh at myself for it though.  I'm not a continual blubber or moaner.

Anyhow, Mum suggested checking it with a midwife, (swollen hands can mean the dreaded pre-eclampsia after all) but after lunch they'd gone down a bit,  and looking on t'internet I think it's because I'd had too much salt on Saturday.

I'd munched a big bag of Kettle chips (salted) and when out for dinner at the lovely Mediterranean restaurant appropriately called 'The Olives' I'd eaten a lot of olives (had to, no one else liked them and it would have been a shame to waste them).  The article specifically advised against olives :( as they're very salty too!

So I put the swelling down to these factors, and the fact I'd not drunk enough water that day, and indeed, all yesterday I was downing glasses of water and today, they're not puffy at all.  They still ache of a morning, and i get pins and needles in my right hand after sleeping, but it's common to get a bit of carpel tunnel syndrome apparently in ones hands near the end of pregnancy.

And I keep reassuring myself that it could be worse, and the end is now in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment