Monday 13 August 2012

Sickness Challenge

This weekend Steve had a job in Scotland to film for the Scottish Forestry Commission.  The plan was to capture the Perseids and folk all gathered to see them at an event put on in Galloway Forest.

However, it rained and was cloudy so he wasn't able to do exactly what he wanted to do but still got the footage they wanted which was the main thing.

As we'd had such a nice time in Newton Stewart last November, [link here if you're interested!] I thought it'd be nice to join Steve.

Events transpired to mean we couldn't go on the Saturday so we travelled up early Sunday just for the one night.  It's a long drive, but pretty and an easy route.

Joel slept for the first two hour leg, then we had a break at Tebay services for lunch and play time for him, before carrying on for the second leg.

Joel loved our room, it was large with a sofa, two beds, a cot and a cubby hole wardrobe type thing that he hid in!  The hotel also has a lovely large lawn, so we had some running around fresh air time there too.  Then he seemed a bit sleepy and grizzly, so against my better judgement decided to give him a short nap to keep him happy for dinner time.

He slept for about 15 minutes after I'd walked him up and down the drive in his buggy, then some other hotel guests (they could have been  Dutch) peered in at him and said how handsome he was which woke him up!

He was very grizzly then so I sat him on my knee and the next thing I knew was he was being sick.  Properly bringing up every little thing he'd eaten that day.  And the first thing I did was to catch it in my dress.  And it kept coming.  And he was crying and I was a bit in shock, not sure what to do about it.

We were sat in the hotel lounge so when he seemed to have stopped, I gathered my skirts and my child and dashed into the toilets nearby.  Then from that point, we ran upstairs to our room where Steve was.

Joel was pretty unhappy about all this, and more so when we dunked him in a bath to try and wash the bits off him and out of his hair.  It was in his nose and everything smelt sicky.  I got in the bath too and we left a heap of sicky clothes on the bath room floor.  He began to feel hot, but the little water he had just came back up again.  He kept flopping on the bed and sobbing as he felt so rubbish and I felt terrible that I'd taken us so far from home for just one night.  It was not the nice getaway I'd anticipated :(

He dropped off to sleep at about 7.30, but it was a fitful, hot and bothered sleep.  I managed to get some dinner brought up to the room, he'd been sick about another 3 times by this point but I'd caught it on towels rather than him getting the bed all soggy.  There wasn't a lot of food in him, but he kept retching helplessly.

Steve returned about midnight and Joel woke up.  As he'd not been sick for a couple of hours, we gave him a little water, and some calpol.  Steve took the single bed, and Joel was with me and he dozed fitfully, reaching out for me all night with his hot little body.  By 6am he woke again, drank 3 cups of water, had another dose of calpol and went back to sleep, but I could tell it was a better sleep so we all put our heads down till about 8.30am.

He didn't eat much breakfast, and after a morning exploring the forest for more of Steve's filming, we headed back about lunch time and Joel slept again until the south bound Tebay services and slept again for the second leg, and slept well at night, and to all accounts had a very long nap Tuesday morning.

He seems better in himself, but is still a little sensative at the moment.  I hope he perks up to his happy little self soon.  The main thing is I never thought I could deal with sick, but I did.  I just got on with it, as I had to and it all came good in the end.  I'm just glad I didn't have a sicky baby!  This was the first time he's been sick after having food.  The last time, he was still on milk and it was at Easter so I've been lucky really.

No comments:

Post a Comment