Wednesday 22 June 2011

Feeding in Public

I'm not a militant person at all when it comes to breast feeding.  I didn't feel strongly before that I HAD to do it, and I wasn't againt formula feeding.  I just thought I'd give it a go, and if it worked for us it'd be more convenient for me, cheaper and have a few more benefits than formula but nothing to stress over if it didn't work.

Luckily for me we both took to it.  Yes we had some issues getting started but with a little patience we got there in the end and I think we're both benefitting from it.

So yes, I do now think that breast is best.

But that doens't mean I'm going to be a Mum who has no issue with flopping boobs out in public like some I've seen!!  I'm discreet, and try to feed in places where people won't be offended.   I wouldn't eat my own meal in a toilet, so I'm not going to sit in a public loo for 20 minutes to feed my baby, but if I'm in a Mums and Toddlers meeting I'll feed there, and in the library there's a quiet sofa in the baby book room, so I've fed there on occasion when in town.

And this is my cause for comment today.  After Bounce and Rhyme Joel was hungry so we went and sat on the sofa in the corner, out of the way, and I always wear a vest under a top, so I unhook my nursing bra and pull it and the vest down (the vest then covers my tummy) and I pull the top up so all that is there is the important bit (!) but this is all hidden by baby's head and once he's latched on you can't see a thing. 

Anyway, a grandma was coming in with a pram and there was also a grandad who made a bit of a fuss about me sitting there and the grandma said loudly 'I said you wouldn't want to come in' as though I was causing a big hassle.   I even had a muslin over me so I know nothing could be seen but they were still embarrassed. 

Then it went to the other extreme as a Mum leaving from singing said 'Respect to You!!  So many mum's don't even try it do they?"  and this I found a bit militant as it's all personal and down to each mum as to what they want to do with regards feeding.  And yes, I would encourage any mum to give it a go as the benefits are wonderful, but I wouldn't judge Mum's for not carrying on with it if they couldn't.

Hmm, anyway, that is my thought for the day.  It's time for 'The Apprentice' now and then bed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment