Wednesday 1 February 2012

Grotty Snotty

Well, Joel has had a couple of rough nights due to waking with a congested nose and being a bit upset at being awake when he wants to be asleep.  He's got full on snuffles and a persistent cough and my heart goes out to him when he lies face down on the floor to cough as he's too tired to hold himself up.

Don't get me wrong, he's still his happy little self and enjoying his playing.  It's just that he's tiring more easily, off his food and just not quite 100%.

Yesterday he didn't want his lunch of homemade fish pie, but after having eaten a yoghurt he did allow some peas to be picked out of the sauce and placed in his mouth so he got a bit of nourishment there.  At tea time I made him scrambled egg on toast and he had a little fromage frais as well, then a satsuma.  I was really pleased as he managed to eat lots of it, then Steve called up to say he was on his way  home, and as I was on the phone to him and watching Joel, Joel gagged, his eyes went red and watery and blerugh, his mouth opened and out poured white, yoghurty, eggy sick.  I couldn't help it, I shrieked down the phone to Steve 'Joel's just puked, got to go' and not sure what to do went to him, and removed his plastic bib which had conveniently caught it all.

then 'bleurgh' another load came out but this time he leant over the side of his high chair and covered the floor, the radiator, himself and even got all his clean bibs which sit in the basket underneath the high chair.

He began to cry so I picked him up, but had to remove his jeans and jumper before I properly cuddled him, he smelt pretty bad, and by this time he was ok and slapping my face and pulling my lip!

He was still not much better today and we had a bit of an awful night.  He woke at 10pm with a blocked nose again, I had to wash his face with warm water to remove all the dried on snot and after having been sick with all his dinner was rather hungry.  So he ate some cheese, bread and a yoghurt, drank a lot of milk but didn't go back to sleep.  I left him grumbling in his cot for 20 minutes then went back in to find he'd pooped so couldn't sleep with that in his pants, and by the time that was sorted, he was past being tired and was now miserable.

He didn't want to sit with me, he didn't want to lie down with me, he didn't want to be put down, he didn't want to be picked up.  He didn't want to be taken downstairs to be shown Waybaloo in the vain hope he'd think it was 6pm and go to sleep, he didn't want more milk.  He just wanted to be asleep with having to get to sleep first!  I don't even know what time this was as I didn't have a clock to hand.  I only know I was shattered and so was he.

In the end he went in his cot, I lay on the spare bed next to him, we left the lamp on so he could see me, my arm was stuck through the side of his cot so he could hold my hand and know I was there if he wanted me and the next thing I knew, it was 6am.  Steve was getting up for his breakfast meeting and I collapsed back in our big bed, snuggled under the scrumptious duvet and was allowed by Joel to sleep till almost 8am.

Then I woke with a headache, a sore throat, temperature and he was still coughing so decided it was time to visit the Doctors'.  And the verdict was we have a virus - a viral pharyngitis  but no medication needed, just rest, paracetamol and ice-cream to soothe our throats.

So I've made a vat of leek and chicken soup, I have vimto to hand, Joel is napping having pulled his socks off and stuck his cold. bare feet through the bars of his cot and is managing to sleep like that!

So we're trying to have a restful day and get ourselves better for tomorrow as Joel is meant to having another induction session at nursery!  Lets see how things go...

1 comment:

  1. I could have written this post. Jacob is the same: full of snot, coughing, puking, reduced appetite. I found he was being sick after eating anything dairy (yoghurt, custard, anything in a cheesey sauce). So he's been on bland foods today and hasn't been sick. Poor boys. Hope they're well soon.

    ReplyDelete