Wednesday 14 December 2011

The Appeal Review

Today was the day of my appeal hearing with personnel at work.

I'd been hoping for a good sleep the night before but it was not to be.  Joel (for the second night in a row) woke up at 1am and wouldn't go back to sleep until he'd been rocked on my shoulder for two and a half hours.  It stressed me out as I knew I'd be tired for what was a very important meeting.

Anyway, I got a few hours at least and a shower helped refresh me this morning and I'd put the buggy and car seat in the car last night which meant I only had to get myself and Joel ready.

With my parents at my sister's graduation in Nottingham, and Steve working in London for the day I'd managed to arrange for him to go to our church playgroup.  I was stressing about this as he's not been left with strangers before and when left briefly in creche at church on a sunday he's got really upset.  Anyway, after the hearing I got back after one and a half hours, and I walked into the hall to see him sat in a high chair, surrounded by little girls admiring him whilst he was snacking on cheese and grapes.  He glanced up and saw me there and suddenly turned from being happy to sobbing!  I wasn't fooled as I'd seen him quite happy, but it was funny how he suddenly turned and seemed to realise I'd not been there for so long!!

Anyway, the hearing.......

I was overtired and emotional but determined to get through it best I could.  I'd prepared my statement and began reading through it but got a bit overwrought and blubbed a bit but managed to compose myself.  I tried to laugh it off, and explained that had I slept well I'd have  been in a better state, but in the end I think I came across ok and they understood all the points I had to make.

I gave my arguement first, and then received questions from the managers, and then the personnel folk.  Then it was the managements turn for their argument with questions then from me, and then personnel.  I felt that my business manager was being a bit tricky as he seemed to be slightly non truthful with what seemed to be innocent enough comments but which I felt could affect me, such as stating a team member had worked there since October 2010 when I know he began in April 2010 as I didn't know whether to invite him to my wedding in May 2010, but their argument was that he'd not had two years experience yet, whereas he's been there nearly 20 months!!

Other 'niggles' were the fact that they'd made it sound as though my manager does everything in the office with regards staff training which isn't the case.  Others assist, and they'd missed a lot of information out about this so I added it in which they couldn't refute.

So all in all I felt that I was able to discredit their argument somewhat.  Whether it's enough I don't know.  But I didn't feel stupid for not having anything to say.  I'm glad it's done, and I'm glad that I said my piece.  Whatever the outcome I'm just relieved to have gone the distance and challenged the system!  And if it all goes my way I'll be very happy to be able to work 2 and a half days a week.  and if not, then I'll have to make some hard decisions.

But that will all wait until April.

So now I can just enjoy Christmas.

And here's some of Steve's Joel pics as a lamb:




No comments:

Post a Comment