Tuesday 16 August 2011

More Jabs :(

Today we've been to see the health visitor and nurse for a weigh in and the last set of injections for the time being.  The weigh in was easy enough, he's 14lbs now and I was hopeful that he'd be as good as his 12 week jabs where he didn't even whimper!!

No such luck!  It made me wonder whether it was due to the nurse, as we had the same one as his first set of jabs when he cried, and she was rather brusque about it all, stab, squirt and rub, whereas the nurse last time seemed a bit more gentle, but he yelled at the first injection, then did the hold his breath at the audacity of it all and really show his feelings with a proper scream sort of yell, at which he was turned around and had another two injections which really upset him.

He was howling and screaming, and as soon as it was done I put him on the breast and he began to calm down with his furious feeding which is kind of cute, where he has little fists to beat me with, and a frown on his face and his sucks seem indignant, and it took a while but then he relaxed and even gave the nurse a big smile before he left. 

I realised I'd got tears down my cheeks on exiting.  I'd not noticed I was crying too, but some tears had escaped me, as it was the most awful of the appointments.

When we got back into the waiting room, all the other mums with their babies looked at me with terror, as though it was what was to come for their babies too!

He's now napping in his cot, quite worn out from the day, and last time he was rather tired the next couple of days so here's hoping he copes with the after effects alright tonight and tomorrow.  And thank goodness there aren't any more until after his first birthday now!

No comments:

Post a Comment