Thursday 19 July 2012

Nom nom days

So yesterday I commented that Joel seems to be regressing on the food front.

He's very picky with his food at the moment.  Even something I give him, such as roast chicken thighs, green beans, carrots and potatoes he'll pick at, try munching, bleurgh it all out, then look to see what I've got!

This evening as he was eating his lovely chicken dinner (which was leftovers from last night for us) I was eating fish cakes with quite a strong cheese and leek and smokey flavour.

Of course he wanted to try it, and as he's good about trying all manner of things (the thing with Joel is getting him to actually swallow the food) so I gave him some.  He promptly ate it.  I gave him more, he ate that too. I got Steve's from his plate as he wasn't yet home, and between us, we ate them both!  I'd say he ate most of one himself to be honest.

I know he does eat proper food at nursery.  They told me yesterday he ate cabbage!!  He won't eat that for me.  He'll put a bit of food in his mouth if I'm lucky to try (and I'm talking about proper food here!), sometimes he'll just lick it and other times munch it.  Sometimes it goes down, other times the tongue pushes it out.  Sometimes he munch and spit, then wonder and pick the spat bit out and put it in again and then eat it!  I don't know if it's a texture, taste, not sure about new things or what but I feel glad he'll always have a good breakfast.  He'll eat cereal till the cows come home, toast, yoghurt and fruit, drink water and smoothies.

I do worry about him eating enough meat.  He did eat some chicken thigh today and it went in and down rather than out in his bib.  He enjoys minced beef in sauces like bolognese, chilli and moussaka.  But normally, a roast dinner is a no no.

Bread he loves.  Eggs, cheese and all manner of pasta.  We had pesto pasta for tea the other night.  Fast and easy and we sat together at the table as a family and ate together.  That doesn't happen so often as Steve doesn't come in till after 6 and that's too late for Joel.  so normally, Joel and I sit down together to have our tea although if it's extra casual I might allow him to sit next to me on the sofa and we might have a sandwich or eggy bread.

It'll be interesting to see how he eats whilst we're camping!  We won't have a table, and now he's walking he may just end up running away and getting down.  We will have to see how he copes with the changes.  But as long as there's pasta and sandwiches, I suspect we'll be ok!


No comments:

Post a Comment