Monday 3 September 2012

Cycles & Mooncups (TMI)

Since stopping breastfeeding the old periods had taken a while to come back to normal.

Then in May this year I did a pregancy test and was so happy that it was positive.  But that one was not to be.

Then since that point, we've been trying again but every month brings another period.  To be honest, I'm not even sure I ovulated in June or July.  I did get ovulation cramps in August which I hoped meant things were back in order but I guess we missed the tiny little window which means a new baby.

July's AF was mean, and was a week late which got my hopes up despite the negative test.

And this month, I tried using a 'mooncup', which advertises itself as a third option to typical ladies sanitary ware!  I'd seen it mentioned on a forum and was intrigued, as I do dislike sanitary towels and don't really get on well with tampons.  And the thought of never having to buy them again, and the ethical benefits to the world are worth considering too.

So for £19.99 you can get a silicone cup which is inserted and catches the menstrual flow which then is emptied into the loo, and cleaned and re-inserted.

AF arrived whilst I was at work last week and I didn't fancy trialling it right away, so the next morning (which is normally my heaviest flow day) I had a shower and had a go at using it.  I got it right straight away and thought how easy it was, then removed it.  Then tried to put it back but I guess I'd tensed up and couldn't get it at all!!  On my last ditch attempt I managed it again, and all seemed ok.  I put a liner in as well just as I didn't trust that it wouldn't leak!

I walked to work, pushing Joel in his buggy and dropped him at nursery and stopped at the loo on my way to the office.  No leaks at all.

After a morning sat in the office I was getting a 'heavy' sort of crampy feeling so decided to see what was going on and whether it was the mooncup or just my normal crampy pains.

I went to remove the moon cup and panicked that I couldn't get it out!  Calming myself I managed to, and didn't spill any contents.  It was quite strange, seeing it all in the cup, and with a measuring line to say there was 15ml of fluid there!  Sorry for the TMI, but it was seperated, with a heavy dark blood underneath and a clear liquid on top which I wasn't expecting at all.  I poured it down the toilet and it was a strange action to do and see.  I didn't fancy the firkling required to put it back, so left it out for the afternoon.  And the heavy crampy feeling remained, so it was just my pains.

Maybe I'll try it again next month if it comes to it.  I think it's something that takes a bit of getting used to.  Obviously, the hope is I wouldn't need it for ages.  I do feel sad that things haven't happened yet.  I'd hoped to have been pregnant by August.  Two folk at church yesterday commented that it was time Joel had a sibling.  Yes, I know, but them telling me that doesn't make me feel any happier and I'm hardly going to say that we've been trying for over six months to no avail.  It's none of their business really.  By October, I may see a doctor as I've read that it's common to struggle with a second baby (although ironically I know so many folk who've just caught again so fast) and I never thought it would take so long to make a baby happen.  But this is another month and if I'm not too tired of an evening, hopefully we can muster up the energy to attempt it all again!!  And get the right time this time!  And in the meantime, I'm so broody and jealous of anyone with a new born!!

No comments:

Post a Comment