Wednesday 8 September 2010

Meeting The Midwife

I had my appointment yesterday and it all seemed to go ok. Tracy came to the house at 10.00am and I was allowed to leave work for as long as it took which was good, and I made a pot of tea and bought some iced buns.

Tracy didn't want tea or iced buns so I sat and listened to her talking about stuff (very overwhelming btw) and after about 20 minutes asked if she'd mind if I got a cup of tea as I was hungry and thirsty!!

So, the talk. So much information. Pretty much, all I need to retain at this moment in time is the fact as my last period was the end of May they'll get me a scan asap which will come in the post. I then have to take all my forms and information to the appointment (and Steve) and have the scan which will date the baby. If it's earlier than 12 weeks, they'll book me in for another at the right time, or if it's later, they won't. That's good. I really want to know where I'm at.

Then straight after the scan I have to go off and get blood tests. One needle, many bottles :( I struggle with blood tests at the best of times, so will need Steve there, especially if its more than the normal sort of test I've had to have done at the Dr's which made me faint. It's not that I can't deal with needles, it's the thought of things being sucked out of me. Injections going in I'm fine with!!

Then at 16 weeks all being well, I need to make an appointment with Tracy at the surgery and then we go on from there.

Then I got asked the hugest list of questions about my health, my families health going back four generations (ie mental health, social services being called, inherited diseases) which a lot of it I didn't know, and some questions about Steve's families health which I certainly didn't know!! Some of the questions, I felt that even if the answer were yes (which none were) you wouldn't admit to it anyway! Such as was I a drug user, smoker, had social services called out to the family and all sorts.

The funniest question was when Tracy mumbled is baby Steve's dad? and I really didn't understand the words?! She was actually asking whether Steve was the father of the baby and after I'd spent five minutes trying to deduce whether she was asking a health question of Steve's dad Chris, I sort of exclaimed 'of course! We've only been married 4 months' to which she replied 'well, you'd be surprised'!! Hmmm.

So it all took over an hour to get through, and I got to ask questions at the end about the crampy pains I've been experiencing (normal) and the excess gripiness of my stomach (normal) and the pulling pains if I turn over too quickly at night (normal). I know she's seen it before and I'm not the first girl to have a baby but it's my first and I just don't know anything about anything really, so she was a bit brusque about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment