Wednesday 17 October 2012

Night Terrors

You know how I said Joel goes from sleeping well to not sleeping well?

We're going through a not sleeping well spell at the moment.

And we're all rather shattered from it.

We've been taking turns at night, and two nights ago was Steve's turn.  And he got Joel suffering what we think could be night terrors.  He woke up howling at 11.30, pointing to the corners of his room, absolutely inconsolable.

It was awful.  We took him into our room and into bed with us but he howled more as it was too dark.  Is this when babies develop a fear of the dark?  I don't know.  He was not a happy bunny.  In case of teething we doped him up with teething powders, calpol and calgel on his gums.  This seemed to help a little, but also wake him up, and so he was feeling happier, awake and would not go to sleept ill 3.30am.  Steve took him downstairs and he played like a little maniac for two hours with megabloks.  It's all about the megabloks at the moment.

Anyway, last night was my turn on sleep duty.  And I went to bed early, and Joel woke up at 10.30pm howling.  So I got him out, and we cuddled and read the 'Hug' book which he loves, and he points to Bobo's mummy and says 'Muh-ma' (I hope he doesn't think I'm a chimp!!) but he knows that she is Bobo's mummy.

Then I settled him back in his cot, his night lights were on, and as I went to leave the room, he cried, so I got into the spare bed next to him, and the next thing I knew, it was 6.30am.  So no terrors during the wee small hours.  Maybe we'll have to leave the lights on every night now.  Or at least get something smaller as his current night lights are a fairy light tree that we had at our wedding!!  It's not the dimmest light but he likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment