Monday 18 June 2012

Slap In The Face

Friday made me grumpy.
You know how I keep moaning about having to work full time at the moment. (I am sorry for sounding whingy but it is what it is). I know I could resign, but that would mean I’d have no job. And I’m not someone who would give up a job without having another ready and waiting. And the current job climate is against me.

Anyway, I’m getting off the point.

My work colleague currently on maternity leave has been restructured into a different Faculty (our workplace is undergoing a big change from 6 Faculties to 4 meaning loss of jobs) and she has new managers.
Two weeks ago she wrote asking to go part time. Last week she heard that it was all approved and ok!

Just like that. Kind of like the way it’s meant to be.

It took 5 months for me to get my request turned down. Twice.

I was so upset. Not for her of course. I’m glad she’s got what she wanted. But it just smacks of inequality and unfairness and unjustness and everything else like that.

I cried (again) as it just feels as though I have had to miss out on Joel, and I’ll never get this time back again. And it totally is down to who the manager is. If my manager were a man, or a woman with a family I’ve no doubt I’d have been received with more sympathy. And for a workplace as large as this not having the same ethos in every office – tis shabby.
I’m on the warpath again. I’ve emailed personnel to say how disgruntled I am. I’m trying to find out whether they’ll accept an earlier request from me. And I’m going to ask to go part time rather than job share. I’d like 20 hours. I think it could and would work. I did it all their way last time and got nothing so this time I’m going to do it my way and ask for what I want. I tried to be as helpful as I could to no avail so I’m going to be grumpy about it and make so much fuss they’ll wish they’d accepted me last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment